WWF in its Living Planet Report published in 2014 set out the following in order to protect biodiversity:
One Planet perspective:
Preserve natural capital
– restore damaged ecosystems, halt the loss of priority habitats, significantly expand protected areas
– reduce inputs and waste, manage resources sustainably, scale-up renewable energy production
Consume more wisely
– through low-footprint lifestyles, sustainable energy use and healthier food consumption patterns
Redirect financial flows
– value nature, account for environmental and societal cost, support and reward conservation, sustainable resource management and innovation
Equitable resource governance
– share available resources, make fair and ecologically informed choices, measure success beyond GDP”
Why are these aims so far has been sentenced to death?
Because the recent global reality works directly against them. The entire institutionalized world economic system, from the top global level down to the bottom individual level is based on the direct antitheses of the mindset behind the above aims.
What are the primary causes behind the accelerating loss of biodiversity, which is called the 6th – Anthropogenic – extinction?
Can it be that the same primary causes can be found behind other facets of the misery global human population currently in?
If these primary causes are identified and separated from their consequences, how is it possible to eliminate these causes or at least alleviate their extent?
Does it make sense to fight individually against only the symptoms of primary causes?